Downtown Sheridan is rich in history, and our Main Street District has been recognized by the National Register of Historic Places. The Downtown Sheridan Association’s Walking Tour features 70 historic Sheridan buildings in the downtown area and is available in both a print and digital format. This year, the Walking Tour was updated to be more mobile friendly, featuring quick response (“QR”) codes in the windows of each Walking Tour building that direct to a web page containing the history on that building. So what are you waiting for? A fun and historical tour of Downtown Sheridan awaits you!
Download a printable (PDF) of our Walking Tour Brochure!
No visit to Sheridan would be complete without a visit the following sites that are also on the National Register of Historic Places:
- The Sheridan Inn at 865 Broadway was once operated by William F. Cody (Buffalo Bill). Cody used to sit on the porch north of the inn and watch the auditions for his Wild West Show.
- Trail End Historic Center at 400 Clarendon, is the “Kendrick Mansion” and is now operated as a Wyoming State Museum site. Construction began in 1913 and was completed in 1918.
- Fort Mackenzie, established in 1899, which is now the VA Hospital, is located north of town on Fort Road.
Bradford Brinton Memorial in Big Horn, miles south of Sheridan is the Quarter Circle A Ranch, once owned by Bradford Brinton. Built in 1892, It is open to the public and contains an extensive collection of western art.
The current edition of the Historic Downtown Walking Tour is based in part on the original walking tour compiled by Christy Love with additional research conducted by Linda Prill, Edre Maier, Jane Rice, Helen Graham, Linda Grosso, Misty Moore and Molly Goldsmith.
This historic walking tour has been funded by the Downtown Sheridan Association and in part by Sheridan Travel & Tourism.
Photographs are courtesy of Marilyn Spear Bilyeu, the American Heritage Center at the University of Wyoming and the Rochford Studio CW Collection and Anita Nichols.